Coronavirus resources: Food, shopping deliveries and meals at home
York Carers Centre is a registered voucher holder for York Foodbank. If you are struggling to put food on the table, we can issue you with a foodbank voucher.
In order to provide the most appropriate help for your circumstances we will need to take some basic details from you. This will help us to identify the cause of your crisis, offer practical guidance and allow us to inform York Foodbank of the number of people that they should prepare suitable emergency food for. Once you have been issued with a voucher, you can exchange this for a minimum of three days of emergency food at your nearest foodbank centre.
Some supermarkets are offering protected shopping slots for vulnerable people and carers. If you are asked to provide evidence that you are a carer we would suggest using your York Carers Centre discount card or emergency card. If you no longer have your cards please get in touch for a replacement. Alternatively we can email you a letter to confirm that you are registered with our service as a carer which you can print out at home. Contact us on 01904 715 490.
Below are supermarkets offering protected slots:
- Sainsbury: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8 to 9am for elderly or vulnerable customers and carers
- Tesco: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9 to 10am for elderly and vulnerable customers
- Co-op: Monday to Saturday 8 to 9am and Sundays 10 to11am for vulnerable customers and carers
- M&S: Monday and Thursday, the first hour of trading (check shop opening times) for vulnerable customers
- Waitrose: First opening hour each day, for elderly or vulnerable customers and carers
- York Mix is being supported by City of York Council to provide listings of local businesses still delivering food and groceries www.yorkmix.com
- The York COVID-19 Facebook group is also coordinating a list of local grocery deliveries and other useful local information www.facebook.com/groups/YorkCOVID19.
- Our team can give you information from the above if you don’t have Facebook access or can’t find what you need.
Meals at home
We have a list of organisations providing prepared meals to your door, please get in touch for details.