Ask for a Carers Assessment of Need
Carers have a legal right to an assessment even if the person they care for refuses a community care assessment or services.
It is not an assessment of your ability as a carer, it is about your needs and how to make it easier for you to care.
Pointers about Carers Assessments:
- A Carers Assessment of Need is free and confidential.
- No assumptions will be made as to whether you wish to continue to provide the amount and type of care that you have provided in the past.
- The assessment will be as informal as possible.
- You can complete a self assessment form, or you can have your assessment with a member of staff in person/over the phone.
- All carers assessment applications come to York Carers Centre and are then split between ourselves and City of York Council depending on the complexity of the issues.
- The assessment will usually take place in your own home but can be in another convenient place if preferred.
- You can have the assessment with, or separate from, the person you care for.
To request a Carers Assessment of Need please contact us on 01904 715490 or fill in the section entitled Apply for a Carers Assessment of Need below.
If you would rather do a self assessment, please use the Carers Self Assessment Form below. There is a Self Assessment Guidance sheet to help.
Send any completed forms to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by free post to Freepost NEA 9363, York Carers Centre, 17 Priory Street, York, YO1 6ET.